Friday, May 27, 2011

Block 13 ~ Buckwheat

Quote ~  ~  "Although commonly thought of as a grain, buckwheat actually comes from a herb plant. Buckwheat, which are triangular seeds produced by the herb plant, have a distinctive nutty flavour and can be cooked and served in a similar way to rice or also milled to make buckwheat flour. "

As I stitched Block 13, Buckwheat, I wondered exactly what buckwheat was.  My Other Half suggested it was the stronger version of Doewheat, and I must admit it took a minute or two for that to sink in ... I rejected his suggestion!

This block is in shades of pink/beige, and when I looked for pictures of buckwheat it became obvious why these colours were chosen.  While this block did take longer to stitch it was not difficult, though this may be because a kind person suggested I glue sandpaper to a board to hold the fabric when drawing the template.  I carried that suggestion a stage further ... I set the pieces out on the sandpaper sheet; they stay in place, and I keep calmer.

1 comment:

Karen's Korner said...

Your blocks are lovely and I am enjoying calling in to see your progress.