Thursday, June 9, 2011

Calico Puzzle ~ 16

Block 16, Calico Puzzle, caused no problems ... apart from the fact that I stitched the top row to the centre row upside down, because I wasn't paying attention!  'Check before you stitch' would be a motto worth following!

The letter that inspired this block has an interesting reference to calico.  'The farmer's wife had never dreamed of home conveniences.  The home and grounds were unattractive.  In those days the country woman almost always wore an ugly calico "wrapper" and her one "Sunday dress" was worn for years.'
Those few words paint a picture of drabness and hardship. 

In choosing fabric for this block I deliberately placed that comment to the back of my mind; instead I focussed towards today and chose pretty feminine colours; colours that the farmer's wife of the 1920's would have loved.

I well remember those 'wrappers'.  I am not old enough to remember the 1920's!  Nor did my Mother wear such a garment, but dimly, from the back of my mind, I had been at houses where the morning working garb of the housewife was similar in style. 

1 comment:

Karen's Korner said...

Those colours and fabrics would have been such a delight in the lives of the farmers wives back then.