Friday, April 27, 2012

Two New Blocks

The cooler weather has arrived and I feel more inclined to make inroads into The Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt blocks.

I am working on the letter 'F', which of course means flowers.

In Laurie Aaron Hird's book, Block 36, Flower Garden Path was constructed in an unusual combination of colours, and as I am aiming to make my sampler quilt in a similar colour range I was left wondering, as I stitched, why the deep red and orange.  My conclusion?  The Farmer's Wife wandered around her garden on twilight, and the deepening shadows altered the daytime colours making them look dark and mysterious. 
Block 37, Flower Pot is an obvious title for this block, which was relatively easy to construct. 
Shades of pink and green always bring forth the delightful colours of a garden, though I imagine this particular flower was planted near the back door to welcome the wife as she went about her chores.  On her trip out to the hens, or the garden, or to help in the fields this flower pot would remind her of the loveliness of flowers.

2 comments:

Karen's Korner said...

I am happy to see that you have picked up again with your lovely FWS blocks. That flower pot is so pretty.

Jilly said...

The flower one is just adorable! I love it them all!
Jilly oxo